Internet Services: Cable, ADSL, DSL in Lebanon?

About the use & development of Internet in Lebanon.

When do you think (unlimited) cable or DSL internet services will be available in Lebanon (for a decent price)?

No votes
No votes
24%
35%
18%
24%

Total votes: 17

trash

Post by trash »

hj88 wrote:IDM:

Dear Mr

Thank you for your interest in IDM DSL service

Reference to your below inquiry, kindly note that DSL launching date is not yet precise due to some delays form the Ministry of Telecom, but hopefully in few months from now the service will be available in your area.

For further info and updates visit us at [www.idm.net.lb/dsl]

Note: we will offer both options at different rates (unlimited and Traffic limitation similar to the case of Wireless broadband)
lol despite the fact that IDM was the first isp to post info about DSL on their website, they sound so clueless about it.... i e-mailed them couple of times about different questions and i got the same response as the one you got......... lol thank god i'm not an IDM user

btw i think we should call/email TerraNet maybe they will provide more info.....
I hate all Lebanese ISPs.... They are trash
doxturishka

Suggestion..

Post by doxturishka »

Well actually in some contries there are traffic limitations, but they are very reasonable.. For example per megabyte tariffication: 1 MB = 1 cent for upload and 2 cents for download with a speed of 2 Mb/s... And they sell different packets like 1 Gb 2 Gb 3 Gb.. 10 Gb etc.... For example if you deside to get a 1Gb packet: the usual ratio is 1/5 up/down, this will be about 200 Mb up and 800 Mb download = 2$+16$=18$... If you decide to get a smaller speed then it will cost less, logically.. Well this is reasonable.. And it would be very good to offer free downloads from the server of the provider like films, music, game server, IRC....
I hope that the children of the children of the children.......... of our children after 1000 years will have a normal internet connection in Lebanon, if there will be such a thing like Lebanon...
murex

Post by murex »

As I see it, CYBERIA has the best staff & the best support... It shows well from the high qualtity answer they sent... They are the most transparent and friendly... I don't know enough about their services though... I don't like the fact that they don't allow you to use your own SMTP unless you make a special request... That makes them not very standart...

IDM was the first to post about DSL on their website... because they spend to much money on MARKETING instead of providing a better service... That's their main problem I suppose... They collect mistakes over mistakes and do not really care about customers... And on the other side, they constently put money to "advertise" and "communicate" for lift their image... That's how they survive maybe... Realworld advertising is costly & very oldfashioned, but it gives them a certain fake popularity...

VISP's strategy is much more modern, smarter & cheaper... to enter forums & be nice... It seems to be related to Globalproof.net (satellite provider). Both are run by a Lebanese armenian & russian IT's... I just wish their website was more transparent... But maybe it's because their set up is a bit "illegal"?... They could be using some satellite methode though Turkey or Cyprus and prefer not to be too loud about it... Just speculating... They're a bit weird... Hopefully in a good sense!... (For an ISP or a hosting company, good service over time is the only way to acquire a good reputation...)

Maybe someone should contact Terranet with the same question... TERRANET is the most standart ISP in Lebanon. Good prices. Good features. Good politics. No bad suprises or "experimental" set-ups...

To compare your experience with Lebanese ISP's, please use this thread:
http://www.the-lebanon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=126
palpoule

Post by palpoule »

lol despite the fact that IDM was the first isp to post info about DSL on their website, they sound so clueless about it....
yeah thats right! My friend actually went there 4 dayes ago. He asked almost every staff if they know ANYTHING about when DSL is coming and if there would be a limitation. Most of them said they never heard of a limitation and that DSL should start in Beirut this September.

Pitty! (for IDM and for DSL)
hj88

Post by hj88 »

i contacted terranet with the same question this was their answer:

All the available information about the new DSL service is currently posted on our website [http://corp.terra.net.lb/Dial-Up/DSL.asp]. Please fill out the online application form if you're interested in the service or other services like Broadband and Terrasmart from the top of the page or visit. [http://corp.terra.net.lb/Dial-Up/DSL%20 ... 0users.htm]. Please keep checking our website for updates on the DSL or contact the Customer Care Department at 01-565250. Our engineers will be glad to assist you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I know at least 3 persons who filled that application arround January 2006 and never received any answer or any sign of life whatsoever.
the-lebanon.com
Raficoo

Post by Raficoo »

he he :lol: ,, well about DSL,,, i sadly :( think it's come FIRST in beirut in aaa... SEPTEMBER,,,(well, that's what I think), AND VISP say they got ADSL+2 Somethere in beirut

still can't believe there's maybe going to be a limitation to DSL,

please ANY1 who READS THIS PLZZZZ....

ANSWER ME :cry:

is CABLE OR BROADBAND SERVICES AVAILABLE IN SAIDA???

ANSWER PLZ!!!!!!!!
murex

Yoga etc.

Post by murex »

Pleeeeeeeze Raficoo, take some drugs or go to the beach a little... Yoga is a good option also :idea:

you can't just post "complaints"... Post only if you have a serious info or inquiry about the topic of that thread...

How I see it: the best is to start to ABANDON ALL HOPE and convince yourself that DSL will come in Beirut after 2100 and that it will never come to Saida :mrgreen:

Here are your (our) options:

1- yoga
2- drugs (opium?)
3- fishing
4- organizing a little revolution :shock:
5- exile
6- suicide
7- rent a place close to visp's datacenter and become very rich & get DSL2 from visp for 1000000$ per month...

Personally i have a little preference for no.3... and for no.4, but this option needs a lot of motivated people... & powerful sponsors... to rebuild this (little) country FROM SCRATCH... Hard, but it is not "impossible"... Anyone?

Shit, I forgot an option no.8... For people who cannot reach any of the options above: they can always go religious + if they don't like their parents religion they can always chose one from the 18 sects in Lebanon and then you just pray hard until 2100... (Maybe it is better than the "drugs" option? But I am not sure about that...)
Raficoo

Post by Raficoo »

MUREX.... (OTHERS SKIP TO THE BOTTOM)

let me clear you on 3 things

1st: i'm not posting any complaints, i'm just asking if there's BROADBAND or CABLE SERVICES IN SAIDA... is that 2 much to ask?

2nd: yoga, DRUGS,.. SUICIDE... I'm not that type of person that does all that shit (no offense)..

and last #3: Generally this is a forum, about cable and adsl services..,

So it's not a big deal to write anthing as long as i don't offend anyone

(for any1)

IS THERE BROADBAND OR CABLE SERVICES IN SAIDA OR DID THEY SHUT THEM DOWN?????
murex

Post by murex »

Listen Raficoo, in this forum, you can offend anyone you want, but not me... I am moderating the Internet section for the moment, so this is like MY ROOM, that I am kindly opening to people to come & chat... And like a crazy bartender, I make the rules in this space... For example: I can become totally crazy and ban every one and kill myslef afterwards... if I want to... :shock:

This forum is NOT open to anyone... A certain dose of humor is absolutely REQUIRED... Also, it is not the first time we ask you to "lower your voice" VERY nicely... At least 2 times... More important: I do NOT want to enter into arguments with you on this forum... Send an email or a PM if you want to argue about something. (Please be cool & follow the rule, because if you argue once more, you'll be banned from the forum.)

Since you entered this thread you keep asking (moaning?) about Internet in Lebanon and in Saida. Again and again. And I can understand that... Because we're all doing the same thing here... But the question is WHO are you asking this to? GOD maybe? To me, the way you express yourself (meaningless sentences, capital letters all over) it sounds as if you're shouting like a crazy boy & sending supplications to the Gods...! Now, if you want to contact God to ask him to solve our problems (or the Gods in case you're a polytheist) then please pray inside your heart, in a profound silence...

And if you have a question to the people, and if you don't want to be banned from the forum, you MUST use small letters and the minimum words possible... Look... This is how you can ask a question:
Hello!
Does anybody know if there is Broadband or Cable service in Saida? Did they shut them down?

Thank you,
Raficoo
Not like this:
IS THERE BROADBAND OR CABLE SERVICES IN SAIDA OR DID THEY SHUT THEM DOWN?????
with tones of useless phrases & spaces (the admin always has to clean up most of your messages to erase extra spaces...) If you have time, it would be nice if you could edit your old messages a bit, then we can edit ours & we'll remove our critics...
admin
Site Admin

Clean up

Post by admin »

Guys, this thread is getting messy... I will erase & clean some of your messages when I have minute!
the-lebanon.com
murex

Bandwidth & competition in the deployment of DSL in Leba

Post by murex »

From an article in the Daily Star (June 20, 2006) about Georges Harik' conference at AUB. He is the former director of Googlettes, a subdivision of Google.
Perhaps the greatest obstacle to jumpstarting Lebanon's information technology sector is low Internet penetration due to lack of international bandwidth, an issue that was brought up several times during Harik's lecture. The Telecoms Ministry has been promising to increase bandwidth since it signed an understanding with Internet Service Providers to bring DSL to Lebanon back in November, but no launch date has been set.

"The ministry is not buying enough international bandwidth and also not allowing competition in the deployment of DSL, but the problem with penetration is really sort of a chicken and egg dilemma," Harik said. "Cell phones are expensive, but people see a need for cell phones because they want to talk to their friends. People have to want to start businesses in Lebanon."
gabi1976

hi

Post by gabi1976 »

I think lebanon would never have a descent DSl service, well at least not before the DSL becomes free in europe and US and they will still have limitation on it in lebanon. They had unlimited broadband, well not really unlimited since you can only make 20 connections(sessions) and that would prevent you from using bittorents.but it was ok since it was unlimited download till they felt like they're not making enough money so now it's limited to 5 gb per month wihch sucks.In the US i had a fiber optic connection with Verizon, i use to pay $65 for 10 Mb/s which would cost you around $3000 if available in leb. way to go lebanon...
shlon

news for dsl

Post by shlon »

a couple of news on the dsl service in lebanon [from a terra insider]::

1) it WILL be limited at 4 and 5GB / month [which is not bad, but still...]

2) plans will taste like:: 75.000 home / 80.000 business / 60.000LL edu

3) the extra GB will cost 50.000LL

And finally, if I remember well, bandwidth will be 512/32 [but i still have to re-check this last point]

Oh, and they're waiting for it around september 2006 [but again, between the March myth and the July legend, I don't know if I'd rather jump with joy or empty a valium in my skull]
Shlon
"God Save the Drag Queen"
hj88

why?

Post by hj88 »

i am spending my vacation in france and i have a download speed of more then 5mbps for 30 euros with unlimited bandwith and no downtime
Is This Fair!!!!!

how can you say that 4 and 5 gb is pretty good, why should we accept that situation .

i know for sure that i wont be getting dsl and you shouldn't either .
just boycott it and convince people not to get it as mush as you can.