Internet Services: Cable, ADSL, DSL in Lebanon?

About the use & development of Internet in Lebanon.

When do you think (unlimited) cable or DSL internet services will be available in Lebanon (for a decent price)?

No votes
No votes
24%
35%
18%
24%

Total votes: 17

Raficoo

DSL is ARRIVING very SOON NOW

Post by Raficoo »

Hey again, DSL is arriving to Lebanon sometime between late late march or really april, but there's something that every1 must know, WHICH ISP TO CHOOSE. for example IDM will offer DSL for around $50 for a speed of 512kb/s, and BELIEVE it or not terranet says and i mean SAYS( I COULD BE WRONG :? 8) )))) $45 for a SPEED OF 128KB/S. so all u PEOPLE WHO WANT DSL BADLY LIKE ME :!: :P CHOOSE WiSeLy, BUT

WHEN DSL ARRIVES I WILL NOTIFY U ALL ABOUT IT EXACTTTTTTLY :o

PEACE
murex

DSL

Post by murex »

Cool, but I don't see it coming. They said END OF MARCH, and we are now in the END OF MARCH, and it is not there.

Also, NONE of the prices or offers are definitive. It is pure speculation, because some info are still unknown.

Actually some legal & technical stuff must be fixed by the government, and these 2 things are not fixed yet, so in fact, they just failed to meet their first deadline (end of march).

Also, the price that IDM is giving is pure bullshit. IDM like to spread commercial crap even if they don't know if they are going to be able to make it. This ISP has demonstrated that it is technically out of date and always late in everything. Before you sign up, it is always good to know that their customer support is the worst one in Lebanon and they even support spam (they also spam their clients).

Terranet, and Cyberia are 10 times better. At the time present, they are the best in Lebanon. (I wouldn't go for IDM, even for free... Unless they fire their staff and start a big revolution. At the moment, their level of professionalism is pretty scary.)

I wonder how Lynx & Fiberlink Networks are doing... Never had any experience with them yet.

Sodetel has a good presence in Lebanon also. I don't know about the quality of the service but I know their customer support & their tech. staff are responsive and properly qualified.

There is another thread in this forum dedicated to comparing your experience with local ISP's. Please feel free to post your feedback there!
shlon

DSL is going to be a new Cow to Milk by the government

Post by shlon »

I do not doubt that Marwan Hamadé is a handsome man. But I also doubt that DSL is going to save our lives, like this...

Knowing our political a**holes, and their need for beautiful cars and big villas, the only credible issue is the continuity of the milking process::

Those people, with or without Syria's presence, are going to steal our money, for the simple reason that the people is stupid, and will never complain.

DSL, as I foresee it, will not be cheaper than 50$ for the prehistorical 128kbs, that is IF they give us a REAL 128kbs.

We will CERTAINLY have to pay more than a hundred bucks for something faster than 512kbs [also prehistorical!!], whether we want it or not.

DEATH to all telecom ministers!!!
Shlon
"God Save the Drag Queen"
maroon1

Post by maroon1 »

i contacted IDM, and they replied to me that dsl service will be on may 15.

Anyway i disagree with murex about saying Terranet is 10 times better than IDM, because terranet never replied to me when i contacted them.
and also IDM offers a better dial up services.

i will go with IDM all the way !!!!!!!!!
Raficoo

''''DA** HOW LONG IS IT DOING TO TAKE''''

Post by Raficoo »

Every web site i visit for ISP providers in LEBANON don't tell u anything, i'm using IDM right now, it's good for dial-up sevices, but i wanna know when DSL will come out but everytime i try, they always say,'''' The service will be commercially available once the relevant decrees will be finalized and issued from the council of Ministers.''' as usual :roll: and i don't wanna call any1. i don't know if DSL'S gonna come out in april, may, or even JUNE and when or where at the times, and i especially when it'll come out in SAIDA..

PEACE
murex

Post by murex »

Yes... It is more likely that
NO BODY REALLY KNOWS when DSL will come...
Maybe 2020 is a realistic date... :roll:

Maybe someone should writ some crazy metaphysic novel about it...

It is more likely IDM is making dates up... as usual: to sound more commercial and knowledgable... I dont care about Terranet... Cyberia is good too... but IDM sucks for TOO many reasons (see other threads in this forum).
Raficoo

is is farrrr..... or Maybe CLOSER than we thought... DSL

Post by Raficoo »

well We all thought that DSL is or should i say in a way would not arrive in march or april,may,june,july,auguest or even SEPTEMBER but i've Heard that DSL Would finally arrive in the end of april or in May but WHERE, In beirut and then WHERE and WHEN :roll: :evil: :x is it going to arrive in SAIDA, i Mean if the Telecom people r having that much proplem getting DSL, then we probably Have to wait like 80Years for T1 or T3 connection, but I guess we'll just have to be Waitng and wait'in and waitng and waitng

AND WAITING :arrow: :arrow: :shock: ......FOR THAT SIMPLE DAY
Raficoo

FORGET THE MESSAGE ABOVE CAUZE I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE!!!!

Post by Raficoo »

hey every1 :? I HAVE TO SAY THAT NOW IT"S UNKNOWN WHERE WHEN AND WHY DSL ISN"T COMING OR IS IT UNKNOWN :?: :?: I MEAN THEY SAY MAY AND THE OTHERS SAY JUNE AND THE OTHERES SEPTEMBER AND THE ****** OTHERS SAY NEXT YEAR AHHHH :evil: WHEN THE HELL IS DSL COMING TO HIS CHEAP ASS COUNTRY(ECONIMICALLY I MEAN) AND FINALLY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A QUANTILLION YEARS SOME1 CAN HAVE HIGH SPEED INTERNET LIKE EVEN 128KB/s ATLEAST IN A LIFE WHEN WHEN :arrow: :arrow: :?: :arrow: :?: :?: WHENNNNNN THE HELL IS IT ARRIVING????
Raficoo

The Future is NEAR!!!

Post by Raficoo »

Finally after all this conversation of this forum i have ofinially got the dates of the arrive of DSL (4 RAL THIS TIME) and there they R

End of June in Beirut
Midlle of July in Saida

But i could be wrong :roll: :arrow: :arrow: :?: ........
teefandme

Post by teefandme »

Raficoo, where did you get your info from? And do you know when it will be available in Kesrouan (Jounieh)?
Raficoo

Hope 4 this cheap internet country (INTERNET...)

Post by Raficoo »

We have to wait for this internet future, it's true that someone used High-Speed Sattelite internet for well.... 2DAYS JUST, And the MILITARY arrested him for spying Probabilities :idea: ... (such as giving information about lebanon via Sattelite using pictures and stuff (4 a example The internet sattelite was allowed to download information but not to upload it).. soo it went back to the cheap 33.6kb\s even if it was even called a 33.6kb\s.. :roll:

Well i got the info about the arrival of DSL, U were right teefandme that this Damn internet people delay this arrival, but oh well cheap generation speed follow, in other words(CHEAP ASS TELECOM PEOPLE) :x .... i got his info from people, the companies, Isp's. simply i just keep asking till i get something :roll: ...but i guess we have to wait.. oh yeah i heard that that are going to shut down broadband services because the arrival of DSL....I mean How cheap is that..

To give a hint lebanon is farrr away from the modern internet services.

First comes the cheap, old Dial-Up, then comes the fake cable(CABLE SPEED IN U.S IS ABOUT 2.5mb/s), then comes Broadband, THEN comes DSL, then VDSL, T1, and finally T3,

And oh teefandme.. i'm not 100% sure when exactly DSL will arrive in ur area... but it shoun't take that much time for DSL to spread thru Lebanon

Well all ....Have fun with DSL in the future....

OR :?: :!: WHAT IF IT WAS DELAYED AGAIN AND :evil: :x NEVER CAME :wink:
teodorgeorgiev

VISP

Post by teodorgeorgiev »

Hi,

I saw your posts here. Just to let you know that we at VISP (www.visp.net.lb) decided to run free dial-up access (raw 56Kbps, not 33.6 like the other craps) for the Lebanese.

Phone is: 1620
Username: visp
Password: demo

We have dedicated 20 ports. Feel free to use it. It will be free for at least one-two months. Then we will decide and maybe will keep it for free as from then. It is not a big deal.

I am really sorry for these people, who have no other choice but dial-up.
At least I have been personally a dial-up user for whole 5 years.

take care.
Last edited by teodorgeorgiev on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teefandme

Post by teefandme »

Hey Teodor,

Just tried your free dialup service, it's good! getting faster speeds than my IDM and Cyberia account...glad to hear that there are some good people in this country working hard.

Do you know anything about DSL?
teodorgeorgiev

VISP

Post by teodorgeorgiev »

Glad to hear. Enjoy the connection. Not only tested, feel free to use it as much as you need. Or share it with someone. So far we have plenty of ports capacity.

I heard this from some other people, who tested the connection (specially about Cyberia - nothing personal against them). Maybe you were using their 33.6Kbps service?

About DSL... Well, I know lot about it, technically though :D

Indeed, VISP offers ADSL since August (when we installed the first ADSL link to "Saltek" company). So far there are apprx 10 ADSL customers. Also, offered is ADSL2+ (up to 22Mbps download capacity link).

Now. lets wonder and think why the newspapers have not mentioned that anywhere 8)
Last edited by teodorgeorgiev on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raficoo

Post by Raficoo »

(deleted)
Last edited by Raficoo on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.