Internet Services: Cable, ADSL, DSL in Lebanon?

About the use & development of Internet in Lebanon.

When do you think (unlimited) cable or DSL internet services will be available in Lebanon (for a decent price)?

No votes
No votes
24%
35%
18%
24%

Total votes: 17

hj88

Post by hj88 »

we should really do something, i mean this is not acceptable, i called idm they dont know anything they say it's probably unlimited and there web site confirm this (www.idm.net.lb/products/dsl/index.asp) , sodetel told of course there is a gb limit ,they made me feel like an idiot for even asking.
but the article of assafir seems very professional

i dont know anymore who should we ask, isn't there a reliable source,
dont isps tell there employees anything!
trash

Post by trash »

hj88 wrote:sodetel told of course there is a gb limit ,they made me feel like an idiot for even asking.
The more funnier thing is that Sodetel said on their website that DSL have unlimited traffic with no limitation :?
www.Sodetel.net.lb wrote:DSL provides several BENEFITS to the customers:

* High speed connection
* More than ten times quicker than a regular Internet connection
* Flat rate monthly charges
* Unlimited traffic with no limitation
* VPN access
* 24/7 Technical support
I hate all Lebanese ISPs.... They are trash
palpoule

Post by palpoule »

It's a shame that these bastards are considering putting a brandwidth limit to DSL.

They shouldn't even call it DSL, since it's inapproriate for a limited internet connection to be of the "broadband" family.

They should give it a unique name: CLIC (crappy lebanese internet connection)

By the way, here is my version of the [more or less] accurate DSL price list, which I have read in a DailyStar article:

128 kbps => $26.66 (40,000 LL) /month
256 kbps => $33.33 (50,000 LL) /month
512 kbps => $45 (67,500 LL) /month

(I dont have info about the rest)
hj88

Post by hj88 »

i called sodetel and asked them again about the traffic limitation and asked them about there statement on there website ( no traffic limitation)

they told me dsl was supposed to be with no traffic limitation but recently
our goverment decided to limit dsl. althought nothing is final yet but this is what will probably happen

i asked him why ? no one will want to get dsl if it is limited!
he told me that goverment dont want people to use the connection for voip which will reduce it's income from international calls.

i told him that this is unaccepable and after 5 years of waiting for dsl , the result is very unacceptable!
he told me that i am completely right but they can't do anything about it

i asked him who can i contact from the gov to talk about this issue
he told me that i should contact ogero and i did but they said dont know anything
murex

DSL Price Lists

Post by murex »

It is obvious from the price list that "they" don't want people to use too much bandwith AT ALL. They want it to be difficult... Otherwise the extra GB would be at much more attractive prices, in a commercial logic, such as 'the more you buy, the cheapest it gets"...

Why do they want to limit to the BW...? Either it is because the country's tech. infrastructures are not ready to support the load... or more probably, it's for ABUSIVE politico-COMMERCIAL reasons... As you just reported hj88...

The most sad thing, is how the government & Ogero communicated & still communicate about this whole thing.

I hope one day there will be a real big trial & a full inquiry (with no such things as "rumors")... And that the people & the entities who prevented the development of Internet in Lebanon during those last 10 years be juged & severly punished...
trash

Post by trash »

hj88 wrote: he told me that goverment dont want people to use the connection for voip which will reduce it's income from international calls.
but why do they want to punish all the population for that.... can't they just block voip or do something about it............
hj88

Post by hj88 »

i have contacted ogero today and they confirmed the gb limit, i asked them who should i call to know why they have done that
they told me i should contact the it department on 01373535 , add mannon ezekia hawwaloune 3al fax !!!

anyway, anybode knows marwan hamede phone number :-) ?
trash

Post by trash »

seriously, if DSL is going to be that much a disaster, i will stick with my unlimited stupid 128kbps Brodband until a time come where DSL gets better........
doxturishka

Do you really believe!!??

Post by doxturishka »

People am surprised! Did you really believe that in such a countre like LEBANON will ever be something called NORMAL DSL????????? Huh... How will our goverment earn money from telephone calls and dailup internet then?????? We are in 2006, and yet we dont have a normal electricity!! guys stop dreaming! Look around you.. We might become normal humans in ammm like 1000 years i guess.. But wait :) In 1000 years when we will become normal humans, others will be much more beyond:))))
I hope that the children of the children of the children.......... of our children after 1000 years will have a normal internet connection in Lebanon, if there will be such a thing like Lebanon...
palpoule

Post by palpoule »

Good point !
Raficoo

Post by Raficoo »

WE R in a big diaster time now...

There is no choice than DIAL-UP YES U ALL HEARD ME DIAL-UP!!!!!, THE ***d**n INTERNET PEOPLE SHUT DOWN BROADBAND, CABLE AND OTHER STUFF BECAUSE THEY SAY DSL GOING TO ARRIVE

SOONNNN, I BELIEVE IT's A PUNISHMENT, It's funny, PERSONALLY i hate it mostly cauze i din't get
BROADBAND NOR CABLE SINCE I DIdn't KNOW HEY EXISTIED IN LEBANON :cry:

WELL IF THERE IS A LIMITATION TO DSL, I HOPE THEY'LL MAKE A PRICE FOR UNLIMITED 8)

WE R IN A CRISES TIME RIGHT NOW

HOPE THERE IS NO LIMITION TO THIS CHEAP INTERNET...
hj88

Post by hj88 »

i contacted idm and cyberia by mail with this question :

hello
please can you confirm if the dsl is going to be limited(traffic limit), and if it is what is the best alternative to get a reliable unlimited connection and thank you

------------------------------------------------------------------------
CYBERIA:

Dear Mr.
It seems the ADSL will have a traffic quota per month, and you can pay on additional traffic. For example, a 256 Kbps will have a 3 GB quota per month. Currently, we are offering a wireless SOHO solution, which is also a shared connection (32 Kbps uplink, 256 Kbps downlink) but with unlimited traffic and a fixed static IP address. The installation fee for such a solution is $300.00 and the monthly flat fee is $150.00. Please add the 10 % VAT to these prices.

If you would like me to send you a written offer for that service, please provide me with your full address and contact number.

Best regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
IDM:

Dear Mr

Thank you for your interest in IDM DSL service

Reference to your below inquiry, kindly note that DSL launching date is not yet precise due to some delays form the Ministry of Telecom, but hopefully in few months from now the service will be available in your area.

For further info and updates visit us at [www.idm.net.lb/dsl]

Note: we will offer both options at different rates (unlimited and Traffic limitation similar to the case of Wireless broadband)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i called mr jose saleme( the one of idm) to confirm that there will be an unlimited plan for dsl and he said that there will probably be.

to be more sure that there will be an unlimited plan i contacted VISP and asked them, they said:

We have heard the same thing but nothing is confirmed yet. As soon we confirm this information we will let you know.
Last edited by hj88 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teefandme

Post by teefandme »

Thank you for sharing this info with us hj88...good effort!! Please keep us updated on anything new you found out.

By the way, are companies still providing the unlimited wireless connection? The one you pay 44$/month for 128 kbps i think..or did they stop this service? 150$ per month is ridiculously high

DSL without unlimited traffic is no DSL at all, they shouldn't bother even launching such lowely limited connection. I hope they won't be stupid enough to limit it.
Raficoo

NOTHIN'S CALLED DSL WITH A GB LIMITAION IN THIS WORLD!!!!!!!

Post by Raficoo »

i sure don't know yet, but people tell me that DSL is coming by the end of june, or somewhere in JULY, and some tell me augest, and some tell me SEPTEMBER,

Funny, it must have been 4 months since they said, DSL is arriving in march, nothin happened in march, then april, nothin happened in that month, then may, welll.... NOTHIN,, then june..well... the only thing that happened in june is that they began to say that DSL is going to have a *o*d*m* LIMITAION :x , **** it,

this is a rule that the lebanese internet people like to break, this is the rule::::::(((((DSL WITH A LIMITATION IS NOT CALLED DSL AT ALL)))....so that means if people pay for a limitation of DSL(WHICH HOPEFULLY WON"T HAPPEN TO BE :( ) THAT WOULD BE LIKE DOWNLOADING 1 big game and that IT's ,,,,

ANOTHER PAYMENT FOR WHAT, i JUST USED DSL FOR 1 DAY, and DOWNLOAD 2.3GB JUST((
(((SURELY THAT WHAT THE PEOPLE WILL BE SAYIN TO COMPANIES IF THERE GOING TO BE A LIMITATION TO DSL)) :roll: :wink: ))

I believe NO1 GOING TO GET DSL WITH A FREAKIN LIMITAION
admin
Site Admin

keep cool

Post by admin »

Please Raficoo, avoid capital letters as much as possible (otherwise it's like you're yelling a bit). Please re-read your posts once, you are allowed to edit them when you login... (Sometimes your sentences are not very understandable.)
the-lebanon.com